Initial Client Guide: General Insolvency and Bankruptcy Clients
The documentation we collect for general insolvency and bankruptcy is similar to loan modification and workout agreements, and quite frequently, our clients request our services for both to enable them to obtain a fresh start. Bankruptcy creates something called an automatic stay in most scenarios that enables us time within the bankruptcy case to work on the loan modification and loan workout.
1. Credit Counseling The first step is to take credit counseling which should take between one and two hours and will generate a certificate that we need to file with your bankruptcy paperwork.
The Lawcenter has accounts for credit counseling with the following companies: Cricket Debt Counseling Use Attorney Code 214970
US DOJ Approved Credit Counseling Agencies The US DOJ has a list of approved credit counseling agencies. We are not affiliated with any of these companies, nor do we approve or endorse any specific company. Use any company approved by the US DOJ that you would like to obtain your credit counseling and debtor education certificates. Your are not required to use the two options above, we merely provide you this information as a service and option for two approved companies you may use.
2. Online Questionnaire After taking credit counseling, go to our online questionnaire so we understand a little more about your case. Between our attorney-client meetings, this questionnaire, and the documents you provide, we can compile your case and prepare it for filing.
3. Document Transmission We no longer use a secure portal for document transmission after receiving feedback from clients having difficulty with it. Please transmit sensitive documents by mail, fax or in person and transmit other information by email to our office. Go to the Contact Us page if you need any help along the way.
4. Meeting of Creditors As a debtor, you will need to attend a meeting of creditors. Here is what to expect.
5. Course in Financial Management or Debtor Education After filing, make sure to return to : Access Counseling Inc. and to use Attorney Code: AW22373 (or whatever company you used to take credit counseling) to take your second course that is usually called Debtor Education. Make sure your attorney gets a copy of the certificate and that Form 23 is signed and filed before your case closes so that you are able to obtain a discharge.