- Consultation and retention of counsel
- Debtor takes Credit Counseling and provides documents to counsel to prepare petition, schedules and statement of financial affairs.
- Debtor files voluntary petition, schedules, and statement of financial affairs.
- Chapter 7 Trustee is appointed and a Section 341(a) meeting is scheduled approximately 21-60 days after the case is filed (although usually it hovers around the 35 day mark in California).
- Debtor appears at 341(a) meeting.
- Debtor takes Debt Management Class (which can be done anytime after filing and prior to the case closing or discharge being entered).
- Debtor examines reaffirmation process and agreements that must be filed with court within sixty days of the initial meeting of creditors.
- Debtor receives discharge after deadline set for creditors to object to discharge and the court issues a separate order closing the case.